From Bean to Sprout

a first time mom's forray into parenthood

Footloose and Fancy Free July 8, 2012

Filed under: Uncategorized — frombeantosprout @ 9:01 pm

Tuesday morning, around 3am, as I cleaned vomited curdled milk off the rocking chair in Henry’s bedroom while Chris, covered in puke himself, took a shower with our sick child, we both had the same thought… we could use some time to ourselves.

Yep, pretty much the entire long weekend and into the following week, Henry was sick.  It had started the week before with a fever, then on Thursday when I brought him to the pediatrician to get his chicken pox vaccine, our doctor suspected Henry was already suffering from it. I ended up having to take a few days off and take care of my poor kiddo. He seemed to be feeling better by Canada Day but then things took a violent turn for the worse and cue the Tuesday morning puke session.

Mom, I really wish you’d stop taking pictures of me when I’m not feeling well.


So, yeah, after a few days in quarantine, mommy got bored and started styling Henry’s hair for fun.


Lying on Ginger makes me feel slightly better.


I love the look Ginger’s giving me here… It’s a mixture of “please save me” and “obviously I’m a better parent than you are”.


So this has very little to do with being sick, I mean, I guess it was taken while he was sick. I just love the look he’s giving here.


Being outside actually really helped Henry out. Every time it looked like he was fading, we’d bring him outside and he’d perk up. He especially loves watering the tomato plants.


Meaning Tuesday I had to use my final family day. Let’s all take a moment to mourn the loss of my annual family leave.

**Here lies Melina’s family leave, gone before its time, in the prime of its youth. Only a few months old, wasn’t even able to make it to the fall flu season. Rest in peace family leave, rest in peace***

Honestly, whoever thought 5 days would be enough for the first year of daycare obviously never had children. I kind of wish I could have kept all that family leave I had before Henry and used it up all this year. Luckily for me, Pat (aka Lolly) came to relieve me on Wednesday and looked after him the whole day. He seemed much better after that. This is the second time that Lolly comes to look after Henry for the day and he’s all of a sudden “cured” the next day. I’m starting to suspect he’s faking it until he knows she’ll come spend the day.

Anyways, this is a really long way to lead into my main topic of how we had a weekend off this weekend. My cousin Graeme was marrying his longtime love Lindsey in Bowmanville/Whitby and we were going sans bebe.

Excited to be hitting the road!

We got to our hotel around 12:30 and got to lounge around until the wedding. It was bliss. Not only did we get to just veg out, we got to watch crappy cable tv. We haven’t had cable at home for a few years now so I had no idea that most cable tv just became a 24 hour “home renovation” show. I mean, honestly, how many home reno shows are out there? We both got sucked into the vortex of TLC and A&E and Chris had to almost force me out of the hotel room to go to the wedding.

Heading to the wedding reception.

The wedding itself was beautiful. The church was a little hot but the cool AC of the reception hall more than made up for it. Graeme and Lindsey make such a cute couple.

The lovely bride and groom.


I got to reconnect with aunts and uncles and cousins. It was great fun. Chris went nuts for the free shrimp during the cocktail hour.

I can’t say no to shrimp!


We had a great dinner and got to hear some wonderful speeches. Both Lindsey and Graeme’s families are super eloquent speakers. I loved how Graeme’s mom say that she looked it up online and that there was in fact no time limit for the mother of the groom’s speech and that in fact protocol states that she’s entitled to one minute of discourse for every hour of labour she was in, which was a total of 57 hours, so she told us to get comfortable. It was hilarious.

Anyways, we managed to make it to about 10pm when I started feeling a little under the weather (I’ve been having this recurring sore throat/sore ear for the past week) and our 5am wake up call was starting to catch up to us (that call being Henry) so we bid our adieu and headed back to the hotel. Chris and I slept from 11pm to 8am. 9 HOURS!!!  It was AMAZING! We slowly woke up and moseyed down to the lobby for our continental breakfast (read toast and toaster) that we had with my dad and Zoe.

We tried to stall a bit more but I think we were both playing chicken with each other to see who would crack first and say “ok, let’s go home to get Henry”. We got to Almonte a little after 1pm and Chris pretty much tossed the emergency break on the car and ran out because he wanted to be the first to hold Henry. As he was running, I was yelling “No fair!” as I picked up our garbage out of the car.

Henry had a great weekend at Lolly and Pops house but I think deep down we all missed each other a lot.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s