Yesterday I felt something was off with Henry. He was sleeping much more than usual and wasn’t eating as much. We took his temperature yesterday evening and it was fine so we thought nothing of it, attributing it to his growth spurt.
Well during the entire night he was somewhat fussy. He wasn’t awake but he kept groaning and making noises and this morning he was really warm so Chris took his temperature and with a quick google check realized he now had a fever so off to CHEO we went.
We got there around 6:30am and were admitted right away. They did a barrage of tests on him which included obtaining a urine sample by inserting a catheter in him, a blood sample which was absolutely heart breaking to watch since the nurse couldn’t find his vein so she kept stabbing and stabbing him and eventually took his blood and put an IV drip in him. They then had to shove a tube up his nose to suction out any mucus for more tests and then sent us for a chest x-ray in which they have this tiny baby torture device where they sit him up and lift his arms above his head and strap him in like he’s a prisoner of war or something. Poor little guy was upset with every procedure, crying his little heart out while breaking ours. For most of the tests I was crying along beside him.
After 5 or so hours a doctor came along and started telling us the possibilities of what it was and that she was waiting for test results. She mentioned that if a certain test came back positive, she’d have to do a lumbar tap to make sure it wasn’t meningitis. I freaked out when she mentioned that. Eventually everything came back alright and we were told he has somewhat of a chest cold and to monitor his feedings and his urine output and they discharged us. Even now at home, with my little guy all sick and upset, I can’t shake the “worst case scenario” feeling from me. Chris keeps telling me to calm down and that he’ll be fine but it’s killing me watching him so miserable and knowing it may be that way for a few days (and also knowing this won’t be the last time he gets sick).
So now my out and about plans for this week are on standby while I nurse Henry back to health (literally!). Here’s hoping he feels better soon. I don’t want to have to go back to CHEO again.